The original “engagement chicken” appeared in Glamour magazine. Legend has it that Glamour magazine staffers made it for their men and were proposed to soon after. It has super powers!
I made it for my husband for the first time AFTER we were engaged though. Even still, he loved it so there’s something to it!
I didn’t have the exact ingredients this time around so I improvised.
- Whole chicken for roasting
- 1 lime, pierced all over with a fork
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. of clarified butter or coconut oil
- 3-5 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick sticks
- 1 large potato, cut into wedges
- 1 purple onion, cut into wedges
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Preheat oven 425 degrees. Cut vegetables and combine in a bag or large container with a cover. Add oil, salt and pepper to vegetables and shake. Lay on baking pan.
Step 2: Rinse chicken, pat dry. Drizzle lemon juice all over. Then, grease chicken. Then, salt and pepper all over.
Step 3: Shove pierced lime, garlic and rosemary sprigs inside chicken.
Step 4: Place chicken on top of vegetables. Bake for 90 minutes or when chicken has no more water inside and runs hotter than 180 degrees using a meat thermometer.